3 May 2006

Knitted slippers

slippers
A pattern for knitted slippers/socks/baby booties

From The Children’s Year: Craft and clothing for children and parents to make by Stephanie Cooper, Christine Fynes-Clinton and Marye Rowling. Gloucestershire: Hawthorn Press, 1986.
ISBN 1 869 890 00 0.

For babies’ bootees approx size 1-4 months you will need 20g (1 oz) 4ply baby wool and 1 pair 3mm (size 2 US) needles.

For children’s slippers you will need 50g (2oz) DK 8ply wool and 1 pair 4mm (size 5 US) needles.

For adults you will need 100g (3 1/2 oz) DK 8ply wool and 1 pair 4mm needles.

This pattern is good for using up scraps of yarn and making stripey socks.

Cast on 56 (for children’s size 68; adults 80) stitches and knit 26 (30; 40) rows in garter or moss stitch. At the beginning of the next two rows, cast off 12 (14; 16) stitches and continue knitting with the remaining 32 (40; 48) stitches. Knit 22 (26 or more, measure against foot) rows and then decrease as follows:
1st row: K2 stitches together and repeat until the end of the row. You should have 16 (20; 24) stitches.
2nd row: Purl
3rd row: same as first row. You should have 8 (10;12) stitches left.
4th row: Purl.
Break the wool, leaving about 15cm. Run the wool through the last stitches and pull tight. Sew securely. Sew up top and back of slipper. For bootees, make a twisted cord and run it through the folded over bit.

If you have a piece of leather, sheepskin or window chamois cloth, cut it into a foot shape and sew it to the bottom of the slipper for extra strength.

15 comments:

laurie said...

thanks for the pattern!!!!! so cute!

jorth said...

Marvellous slippers, and chin chin for the pattern!

littlejennywren said...

The Children's Year is a wonderful book isn't it, full of great ideas that are so simple to make.I love the slippers in the white wool. I haven't knitted my daughter slippers since she was little, maybe I'll make her some now. My mum used to knit us the same slippers when we were little.

Jerry & Maxy said...

Oh so adorable! Thank you very much for the pattern.

You've been busy today :)

MsCellania said...

I may break with my endless knitting of rectangles and actually try these! I NEED slippers for next winter. And it may take me that long to make them.

Thanks for posting so much good stuff. I do appreciate you!

telfair said...

Thanks so much for posting the pattern! I think I'll make a pair for my mom for her birthday.
The pair in your picture look so warm and fuzzy...

rachel said...

perfect timing! my friend's having a baby in...um...four months, and i was just starting to think that i should start thinking about baby booties and the like...thanks!

String Bean said...

Thanks Suse! I'm definitely making these for my family. Christmas presents: check.

Siri said...

I've borrowed that book from a friend several times. I don't know why I don't just break down and buy it. She and I both have wondered how those slippers turn out. Very well, I see. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have started making these for myself but can't work out how they come together at the end. I may be being a bit daft but can you help?
Thank you

Suse said...

Hi there. The bit you just cast off is the toe. Pull the stitches tight and break off the yarn. Then sew up the part that will sit on the top of our foot, and finish by sewing up the back of e slipper, ie the bit from your heel up to your ankle.

Suse said...

Of course that should read ... pull the stitches tight, secure, and break off yarn.

Tara said...

Hi there, I came across this pattern and am excited to try it! Just wondering approx. foot sizes for the child and adult patterns?

Suse said...

Hi Tara, the pattern is flexible, you just knit until it's the right length for your foot! Just hold the knitting up against the foot to measure.

Tara said...

Okay perfect, thank you! I'm also wondering how the back is going to look at the end? Do you have any more pictures?